Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Santa's coming soon but Murphy made an early visit...

Wouldn't you know it, I've been so on top of my Christmas sewing and what happens, my machine starts to give out.  It's my third one in four years and they've all been used.  The first one was just a small Singer featherweight I got from my Great Aunt which didn't make it after one quilt.  I then bought a used one which was destroyed in a move and this one was a $25 bargain I got a year and a half ago.  Granted, this poor little machine has been used and abused with all the costuming its done and non historical projects.  I just didn't think it would die this soon.  It is a Singer from the 1950's or around there.  I'm not entirely sure of the year.  It's started looping the thread on the underside of my material despite fixing the thread tension and re-threading the machine.  I also think the motor is going because its taking a lot of coaxing to get the old girl moving.  I can always use my mom's sewing machine to get my Christmas presents done but I feel kind of lost without my own now.

I did get a lot of decorating done around the apartment.  My Grandpa gave me what he said was "a few decorations" he didn't need anymore.  Big D and I went to pick them up and he loaded down the back seat and trunk full of decorations, most of which were hand made by him or my late Grandma.  So now, the decorations that once filled a house have now been placed in every nook and cranny possible in a studio apartment.  Christmas has literally thrown up everywhere in this place!  I have to admit tho, it's very warm and wonderful to have so many decorations that have memories from years past.  Here are a few pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Santa and Snowman lights my Mom and Dad gave me.  They are hanging on the balcony on the inside so I can see them through the door.


Ceramic Santa's Village my Grandma made around 1992.


Ceramic winter village made after Santa's Village between 1992 and 1993.


Wooden candles I believe my Grandpa made, ceramic one horse open sleigh and lamp post made by my Grandma in 1978 and a terra cotta pot Santa apparently made by me and given to my Grandparents in 1996!!


Wooden Christmas trees made by my Grandpa and painted by my Grandma.  No date marked on them but memory serves they are from the mid 1990's.  The JOY figures are store bought.


Ceramic carolers made by my Grandma. No date on them.  Snowman train is store bought.


Ceramic light up Christmas tree made by my Grandma in 1977.  My mom has a matching one that was made for my Great Grandmother.  The little reindeer is obviously store bought but oh so cute!  Notice the quilted table runner underneath.  I don't believe this was made by my Grandma but likely purchased at a craft sale.


The tiny little Christmas tree.  It's 4.5' tall.  I say tiny because my parents have a 7' at home.  The lights are new but all the decorations are from my Grandpa.  Most are wooden ones made by him and painted by my Grandma.  They include bells, doves, stockings, snowmen and Christmas trees.  there are a few others too including some Christmas Winnie the Pooh ones my Grandma had.

So that is what I've done with Christmas decorating.  It doesn't look like much but every flat surface is covered.  The villages are occupying the dining room table as the bases are too wide for either shelf.  I would absolutely die if those fell and broke.  Seeing as how the table is not available for use, the coffee and end tables have the Christmas place mats on them.

Hopefully I'll be able to sort out my sewing machine trouble soon.  If anyone has suggestions for fixes I would love to hear them!  Hope everyone is having fun with their Christmas shopping, decorating, baking and crafting.  Remember, only 19 more sleeps!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment