Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Crafting crafting everywhere!

Hello Everyone! I've taken a little bit of a break again, I know. In my defense, I was without internet access for some of it. A lot of my time has been at work doing some overtime to ease the cost of Christmas.  Also, I've been spending some time with Big D, R, Mr E and C out at the hunting cabin. Well, it's not really a cabin, it's the house that Mr E grew up in. It's over 100 years old and is an Eaton's house. There have been several upgrades and additions over the years. Now it's a fully functional house with electricity, running water and even satellite TV!!

The men are usually out of the house before the crack of dawn to get situated and await Bambi. C and I stay back at the house, snooze til the sun comes up (or sometimes later for me!) and make breakfast for everyone. Once the troops are fed, they usually run off again on a day hunt and C and I are left to our own devices. Usually that means we have the house to ourselves to craft to our hearts content. (And watch Boardwalk Empire all day long on the laptop!!) Despite her wide range of crafting experience, C had never ever done a quilting project. We picked up some fat quarters and she finished, by hand, the same table topper I have been creating.

Over the last few weeks/weekends of “hunting”, her and I have managed to finish several projects. Unfortunately, I can't share many of mine with you here until after Christmas, but they are amazing, creative and just plain awesome, let me assure you!

I did create a little Christmas wall hanging decoration. I found some neat cross stitch patterns when I was organizing my craft books. I decided the little snow man mitten just HAD to be made. When he was done I needed to put him on something other than a tree ornament, so I made a mini wall hanging for winter. I have to finish the binding by machine, then I think I will hang him on the outside of my apartment door. It's the only one on the floor without some sort of Christmas or winter decoration!!



I did finish the top of my Christmas table topper. Big D was gone hunting again so I manged to get lots of cleaning and organizing sewing and crafting done. (Please ignore my absolutely HIDEOUS ironing board!)



I've also been hard at work creating a website for my Aunt. It's still in its beginning stages and I'm sure it will always be evolving. Take a look and see what you think. For that matter, see about ordering some jams or jellies as Christmas presents! Visit her at http://www.juliasjamsandjellies.com/ and see what she has to offer!

After finding the MOST awesome blog (other than mine) called Diary of a Quilter I decided to make a quick project tonight.  She has a very nice easy to make table runner done out of scraps.  Now I knew all the bits and pieces I had been hanging on to from each project would come in handy.  I had some material from the quilt I'm working on, another from one of my Christmas present projects and two more from two different historical costumes.  I've come up with the following...


The binding is not on it yet, but I'm quite happy.  Not bad for a few scraps that wouldn't have had a home otherwise!


Of course, because crafting several Christmas present, working full time, upkeep of my home and the general craziness that life throws your way wasn't enough for me to do, I've been plotting and scheming my next quilting endeavor. Aside from a few super awesome quilts I saw in a magazine, I had the craziest idea to turn a knitting pattern into a quilt. Not just any knitting pattern, a Harry Potter knitting pattern. With the permission of the original pattern creator, Rosemary, I have begun turning this into a quilt pattern for personal use! The chart, with the addition of a few things, makes the perfect lap sized quilt. At the urging of several friends in my sewing group, I want to do a quilt with the 4 house crests. Even with down sizing, I'm looking at a quilt that is 7' by 10'. Still at the drawing board with that one! Check out Rosemary's blog. She has so many neat projects and designs. Her blog is definitely worth following!

Well, that seems to be all for now.  At least all that I can show on here.  OOH!! I'm so excited for Christmas and the unveiling of the presents!!



4 comments:

  1. Beautiful work SJ!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog SJ, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just saw that you made a table runner too- and it's beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fignie! It was super easy to make! I think I'll have to do a few more with all the scraps I have!

      Delete