Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The still untitled quilt


Welcome back everyone!

A little while back, I talked about a painting I had seen on a wall in one of our local museums.  I found fabric on my trip to make a quilt inspired by this and I have finally come up with a design.  Right now its just a sketch on graph paper and a few squares of fabric sewn together, but in my head it is AMAZING!!

 The design.  The blocks are plain except for the few that are applique.  I want the fabric to be the focus in this quilt, and any detail put in to the quilting.and applique

The quilt so far.  I have the middle applique block, border around it and side panels. Also, my edges are not that wonky, the iPhone jumps a bit when taking panoramic pictures


I want to applique the birds and leaves onto the quilt, which will require some super awesome iron on interfacing.  I didn’t use any with “Home at Last” and some of the houses are coming away from the quilt.  I’ve heard great things about a product called Steam a Seam and I really want to try some.  If any of you Manitoba quilters know where it can be purchased locally, or a similar product, I would love to hear from you. 

My brain subconsciously altered the design with a miscalculation in number of pieces I had cut, so the border around the center design changed just slightly.  I’m not sad at all about this change.  Nothing was set in stone, I had lots of fabric to play with and I like the outcome anyway!

I’m hoping I can get the two top rows done tonight, and maybe even cut out the birds and leaves.  I want to pin them in place and get a feel for the whole thing.

Our snow storm from this past weekend seems to be that brought the snow that’s going to stay.  I’m not entirely sad, it’s perfect sewing weather!!  It will be cold this weekend though when Big D and I head back out to the farm for riffle season.  He still needs to fill his tag, and is determined to get a bigger buck than last time.  I think his feelings and bragging rights took a bit of a hit with that deer.
Keep warm and have fun with your winter craft projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment