Sunday, November 11, 2012

Scottish Symphony: A Selkirk Settlers Celebration

I had an absolutely WONDERFUL evening out last night with the MLHS at the symphony.  They were premiering a new work by Sid Robinovitch called "Red River" which was commissioned by the Seven Oaks Historical Society to commemorate the Selkirk Settlers bicentennial.  MLHS was invited to hand out programs in costume and be general ambiance.  Myself and three other ladies were present and we received free tickets to the symphony.  Not only did we get to experience the world premier of this beautiful work, but two other pieces.  Concerto No. 1 for Piano and Orchestra in C major by Beethoven and Symphony No. 3 in A minor by Mendelssohn.
 
 

I took this photo during Beethoven's Concerto.  The pianist, Beatrice Rana, was phenomenal.  She couldn't have been more than 22 and played all three movements from memory with intense passion.  When I played piano, many years ago and never this good, Beethoven was one of my favourites to play.  He didn't show up very often in my curriculum, but when he did I would endeavor to play his pieces.  I even sought out a few to learn for fun and played "Moonlight Sonata" for my high school production of Dracula.  Anyway, Beatrice's performance was amazing beyond words.  I would go again to the symphony, if only to hear her play.

I finished my spencer jacket just in time to wear it to this event.  I managed to trim the cuffs with fur but not the collar.  We all had so much fun going to the symphony in costume.  We were looking for someone to take a photo of us all when two ladies came up and asked to have their picture taken with us.  We agreed if they would take one of us.  It worked out to be a good trade.

L-R Myself, Kira-Lyn, Zaley and Debbie

Debbie took a few poses, but I like this one.  She asked me to "look off into the distance remembering your homeland".  She's such a riot!!
  
I had parked underground, not wanting to ruin my dress anymore.  It had been snowing all day and we were supposed to get this horrible winter storm.  When I left the concert hall last night, it looks like it had kicked in full swing.  We were promised 20-30cm (8-12 inches) of snow.  This is what it looked like as I drove past the concert hall, which is actually on the same street my work is!






I was sure glad Big D had put the winter tires on the car!  The plows have been out now, but not when I was traveling home last night.  It was so slow going I didn't even get out of first gear, but other than that it was fine.  When I talked to my mom this morning, she said their property looks like a winter wonderland.  I told her to take some pictures so maybe I will get to show you what a beautiful place my parents have.

Hope all of you caught in this storm are keeping warm and safe and everyone have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. I love your new spencer jacket. You are dressed most appropriately for such a wonderful occasion! Glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much writergal! If you decide to join up with MLHS, I'll make you one to match!

      Delete