Wednesday, November 7, 2012

I GOT ONE!!!

It's been a few days but rather busy ones.  I have great news!!

Panaramic shot of where we were sitting! Gotta love iOS 6!!

Sunday morning, Big D and i went back to the same spot in the south end of the third field where all the action was.  We got there early, thanks to the time change, and sat and waited.  Big D was getting discouraged and thought that maybe we weren't going to see anything as the deer were "late" from the last two mornings.  No sooner had he expressed this, one lonely buck moseyed out into the field.  He was snacking on winter wheat and making his way south down the field.  We watched with baited breath, fearful that he would turn east into the bush.  Big D tried his buck call several times but the deer didn't even twitch an ear to it.  He turned and started slowly towards us.  I had my muzzle loader cocked and ready to fire, all I had to do was lift my gun, aim and fire.

He was about 90-100 yards away and then it hit me, buck fever.  My heart started pounding so loud I was certain that the deer was going to hear it and run.  My arms were shaking as I raised my gun and Big D whisper yelled at me to shoot.  A tense split second that felt like several years and BOOM!  I fired but I was so focused on the deer through my scope I didn't even hear my shot, feel the recoil of the gun or notice him stumble.  He didn't run at all or drop, he simply started doing a quick walk past us.  Big D whistled to get him to stop and fired another shot.  I heard the shot hit but again he didn't drop and he didn't run, he just kept going on his way.  We both reloaded as fast as we could and Big D jumped out of the bush where we were sitting, saw the deer down the field on the bush line and fired a third time.  Big D's dad was sitting  in his tree stand and said he never heard an impact from the third shot, so the deer just walked into the bush.

We did some tracking but couldn't find any evidence of him having been hit.  Thankfully, Mr E came out to the farm to help us track it and after two hours of bush walking, we found him!!  He was about 2-3 years old, about 200lbs on the hoof and I believe 4 points.  Given that not everyone is a fan of seeing icky things, click here to see a picture of Big D and I with our harvest.  We decided to share the glory because there were two impact points, both from each of our first shots.

He's now packaged up in our freezer and hopefully we can fill the other tag during riffle season.  If we do, then we're set for the year!

On the sewing side of things, JM came over tonight to help me lay out the pattern for my spencer jacket.  I need it for an event Saturday night.  There was a symphony composed in honour of the Selkirk Settler Bicentennial and the MLHS has been asked to be present in costume.  I'm going to wear my peach day dress, as its the only fancy one I have right now.  The jacket is going to be chocolate brown velvet with a brown silk lining.  I have an old fur coat that i'm going to remove the collar from to put on the spencer, as well as trim the cuffs with fur.  It's going to be super fancy and I hope I get some nice pictures of me in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment