Monday, October 29, 2012

Quilt-A-Long block 2

Big D and I went to visit my parents tonight.  I hadn't seen them since I left for my trip to Mississinewa.  I had to return their GPS "dirty Gertie" to them, tell them all the stories about my trip and I wanted to see about washing my dress.  The machine here at our apartment building has been known to eat clothes and my 1810 day dress was the last thing I wanted to find chewed in the laundry.  I put some spray and wash on it and we ran two cycles through my mom's machine with every fancy dancy wash mode possible and this is what I ended up with


Oh wait...that wasn't the dirty part.  Lets check the bottom of the dress.



Okay, so it was a fail.  Honestly though, I'm not too heart broken.  The dress is a little too long and people are forever stepping on it causing me to have to repair it almost every time I wear it.  I think if I hem it up, not only will I get rid of most of the dirt stains but I'll never have to worry about fixing it again.  Worse comes to worse, if I don't get the stains out with the re-hemming, then it will just be my muddy Mississinewa dress that I won't have to worry about when the hem gets dirty.  My mom said I should think about making a new dress anyway.  I love how she feeds my costuming addictions!!

While I was away, Mom picked up my fabric for the second block of our block of the month quilt.  It's more half square triangles, which kind of scare me, but not as much as they did for the first block.  I'm still going to make a test block.  It can't hurt to practice plus I get two quilts for the price of one!! Who doesn't love extra quilting right?


My Mom and Dad also got me a fancy little Christmas ornament.  I have a love for shoes, the higher the better.  After the two falls I took this summer I've been in flats and hesitant about wearing some of the bigger shoes I own.  That, and Big D and I are hoping to own a house before we turn 90 so indulging in shoes has been at the bottom of my priority list.  None the less, this will make a wonderful addition to the tree once Christmas throws up all over the apartment again.  Big D thinks it will just end up another toy for the babies. He's probably not wrong!


In addition to the ornament, a friend of my Mom's gave her more purses.  I managed to get a like new purse before that's Chinese Laundry.  I was shocked to find out the value of the purse, so when Mom said she had more purses for me to look through, I couldn't say no.  Here's what I got!




Yes, that is real Gucci!!  I now own a Gucci purse.  It's just a flimsy little bag, but the label on it is all I care about!  Big D just rolled his eyes and said "like you need any more purses".  I told him I would throw some out to make room for the new ones so I had better get on that tomorrow!

I'm off to bed now.  I have an early day tomorrow lugging all my stuff to the new office.  I'm so excited to have my own desk again and not to have to share with a whole bunch of other people.  That, and I'll get to use one of my new purses tomorrow.

**UPDATE** After my dress dried, the stain faded and if significantly less noticeable.  I wore it to work today for Halloween and you wouldn't be able to tell it had been muddy unless you were looking for it .

No comments:

Post a Comment