Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Inspiration

People that know me in real life know that I am anything but ordinary.  I hate to follow the crowd and I usually make every attempt to make my own path.  My mom can attest to this fact as she says I usually choose the hardest way to do anything.  I see it differently.  Yes, I have made some silly decisions and some down right stupid ones, but there is too much to try, learn and experience.  You can find inspiration in everything thing and that's what I want to talk about.

Given the nature of this blog, you may think I'm referring to the inspiration we find to make new crafts.  You've seen some of my work in my design of the Harry Potter quilts adapted from Rosemary's knitting pattern.  I also have many other scribbles and ideas on the go for different items to create.  This gets me to wondering how we came up with the inspiration to start these projects in the first place.  I talk about it briefly in my “about me” section about where my passion for crafting comes from, but it doesn't really do it justice. 

The first memory I have of sewing is being about two or three years old.  I had a brand new cradle for my favorite baby doll and I requested bedding for it.  I remember sitting on my Mom's lap at her sewing machine helping her.  I'm sure all I did was help guide the fabric, if that, but I do remember telling her I could do it on my own.  This was my first taste of sewing but not nearly my last.

The first quilting project I remember my mom making was a lap quilt from a weekend quilting class out of the leisure guide.  I saw her doing the finishing touches at home and begged her to make one for me.  She did and I used it for many years until I outgrew the pink and purple designs.  It's now put away with some of my keepsakes at my Parents' place.

I asked my Mom to take a picture of it and e-mail it to me so I could share it with all of you.  Instead, she took a picture of every quilt they had in the house.  Some I had forgotten were even there, but looking at each one brings me warm memories. (No pun intended for those who have been pointing out my horrible jokes as of late! You know who you are!!).


This is the first one I watched my Mom finish.  She tells me it was 1991 when she made it to match her newly redecorated bedroom.


This is the quilt my Mom made for me shortly after she finished the one for her bedroom.


This quilt was made by my Mom some time around 1979.



My paternal great-Grandma made this quilt.  It's not very pretty but it is the WARMEST quilt you will ever find.  The quilt top is made of very heavy wool and the back is a thick flannel.  Whenever the temperature gets too cold, or someone comes down with a flu, this is THE go to quilt!


This quilt was also made by my great-Grandma.  It's much more attractive than the first, but not nearly as warm.  I used to keep this one on my bed when I lived at home because it matched the purple in my room.


This quilt was started by my Mom and my Grandma but not finished until my Mom decided to do so after my Grandma passed away.

It's quite easy to say that my Mom has had the greatest influence getting me to where I am and fueling my passion for crafting.  My Grandma was a large influence on my knitting, but my Mom has taught me everything I know about sewing.  From my first experience sitting on her lap at the sewing machine, things only grew from there.  My Mom made us outfits when we were young and then taught me how to make my own as I grew up, just as her Mom had.  The two of us picked out and made my high school graduation dress together.  The list goes on and on.

I realize this is not just a hobby or part of being a "crazy crafting cat lady", this is part of my family history and part of me.  It's so neat to discover once you finally put all the pieces together. (Again! not a bad quilting pun so don't even start!)

I would love to hear about your inspiration for what you do.  Leave it in the comments below!  Who knows, maybe you will be able to inspire one of my readers!

3 comments:

  1. My first sewing memory was when I was about 3. This would have been about 1960 and we had a "chesterfield" that had large padded arms. My mom was sewing and to keep me occupied, she gave me scraps of fabric and straight pins and I carefully pinned all the pieces to the arms. Parents would never do this today but somehow I survived! The sewing machine was one of my mothers cherished belongings and you had to earn the right to use it. I first had to learn the rules. 1. never race the machine, 2. never touch the tension button, 3. only sew over pins horizontally, to name just a few. When I got my machine, I adhered to the same rules. My machine cost the equivalent of 1-1/2 months salary and I still have it. It has been in for repairs once in all that time and the repair man said to never get rid of it as they just don't make them like that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed seeing all of the quilts....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to view and comment! Hope to see you around again!

      Delete