Thursday, September 9, 2010

Preparation for the Selkirk Settler Parade

It seems that the impossible task I set out for myself has been accomplished, aside from some minor hemming.  Yesterday afternoon I ventured out to visit the head of the historical society to go fabric shopping in her basement.  This woman quite literally has a fabric store in her basement stocked with every possible historically accurate fabric anyone in the society could ever want!  All you need to do is pick a colour.  While K seems to be sticking with neutral tones, I am always more expressive in the colours I wear.  (Some readers may even remember my completely lime green phase when I was 12.)  That is part of the reason I reenact Métis, because the variety of colours I can wear is so great.  I picked out the most beautiful orange material with a red leaf pattern on it for my bed jacket.  

A black twin bed sheet from a local thrift store for a skirt and some cream muslin material from my Mom for the apron and my fichu, and some scraps from a white bed sheet for a day cap and I was all set to begin my project.


After I got home yesterday I cut out the bed jacket and got it entirely assembled and hemmed, except for the bottom.  It was quite late when I finally finished that and decided to tackle the rest of the costume today.  A good friend of mine from University, who is also in the society, JM offered his services to help me complete my costume.  He does a lot of historical costuming and is amazing when it comes to sewing.  He dropped by this afternoon and we quickly got to work.




We cut out the fichu, apron and measured where to put the casing for the drawstring on the skirt.  He even managed to get an action shot of me making the skirt.  Once it was finished, it was time to try on the outfit so far to get an idea of where things were headed.  Here is a lovely front and back shot of the costume




It was now time to get the apron done so that I would have a waist line again and to complete the costume.  JM quickly began cutting and ironing strips of muslin cloth.  He showed me a very interesting technique for not only creating the ties on the apron, but for making the pleats as well.  On K's skirt and apron we made knife pleats, but JM showed me an easier and more professional way using cartridge pleats.  Definitely something I will have to try again when K needs something new.




It was a very enjoyable afternoon and evening and I now have a complete Selkirk Settler costume for the Parade on Saturday.  I hope I will have some good pictures of it.  I am going to be a flag bearer which should prove to be interesting.  And now, what you have all been waiting for...the final project!




The pattern for this outfit can be purchased through our historical society.  You can contact them through the website at www.manitobalivinghistory.com. 

Now I'm off to attach the strings to my day cap and finish up the last little bit of hemming.  Have a good night everyone!






3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics! When and where is the parade? I would love to come and see the Society in action. By the way, the background is much better ... I can read your post easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the information about our events is available on the website. You can find it under the Links I Love section of my blog!

    ReplyDelete