Thursday, September 2, 2010

No introduction needed

I don't feel like an introductory post is accurate because for me this is the middle of everything.  I suppose the nutshell version is the best way to bring everyone up to speed.

I am a nerd, always have been and always will be.  I am the typical computer nerd who is the go to person for all family members when something mysteriously breaks and the recluse in her basement apartment playing World of Warcraft.  I am the history nerd who studied interesting topics in her own time.  It led to majoring in history for my arts degree and finally has required me to join the local historical reenactment society just to get my fix of history.  I am the craft nerd who watched her mother sew and her grandmother knit and desperately needed to learn how to do both.  These are some of the things that make up me and my life.  These things are what I intend to blog about.  The projects I'm working on, the events I go to, and the life in general of the crafting crazy history nut.

So, on to bigger and better (and hopefully more interesting) things.  After having made four dresses, a skirt, two bed jackets, a pair of leggings, an apron, a chemise, a purse, a pair of curtains, a quilted table topper and a secret Christmas gift for one of my two best girlfriends, I decided that I was not done sewing for the year!  While I have a full Scottish settler outfit planned for myself, which I hope I can have done by the 11th, I needed a modern sewing project as well.  Having made only one full size quilt before in my life, and cheating at that because it ended up a tied quilt, that seemed like the best project for the fall.  Winters here are very long and bitterly cold.  The best way to make it through is to have something nice to cozy up in, be it an over sized sweater, a bulky scarf or your favorite blanket.  I wanted something interesting to look at but easy to construct so I will have it done in time for the winter.  It was just the other week I stumbled upon this wonderful design.  That day it was off to the fabric store to use my gift certificate I received from two very dear friends for my birthday back in April.  Lo and behold they were having a sale on fat quarters!  I quickly picked up 9 of them, and a meter of the cutest material with kittens on it.



I've already begun cutting out the pieces and I hope to start constructing it this weekend.  I'm not sure if I will be successful as I do have an entire outfit that needs to be done in a week and a half.  My friend K and I are part of a society that does historical interpretation in costume.  Everyone makes their own and with my hectic schedule of crafting and cats and K's schedule with her daughter, we usually end up making everything last minute.  With a week and a half of notice, I should be just fine!

That should be enough for tonight.  I'm going to watch a half hour of mindless television and do a little mindless knitting before bed.  Tomorrow is a full day of babysitting my younger cousins, and it will be an interesting day with two very active boys stuck in the house due to the weather!  Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. Yay! I get a shout out! I would also like to add that I helped with the cutting out of most of those historical costume. Considering the majority of them were for me, its a good think i helped. Otherwise it might have taken us 3 nights instead of the one. Dont forget we also have a complete costume for E to get done too *Muah!*

    PS. CANT WAIT for my super secret christmas present!

    PPS. I would also like to add that I created a google account JUST to comment on your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you created a Google account to keep up with everything here! You are always a big help when we get into a sewing session and there's no way I would have any of it done without you K!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How clever of you to combine your love of history and your obsession with knitting/sewing! It is not often that one can overlap their interests. For example, if you were into tap dancing and bowling, you would have a bit more trouble. I will look forward to hearing about your projects and seeing pictures of the finished products. I am going to include a link for your blog on my facebook and hope to expand your audience.

    D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Writergal! It's nice to see I have some followers already!

    ReplyDelete