Thursday, May 2, 2013

Crafting Disappointment

I was going to take the opportunity to share with all of you some of the new things I've made, but I'm just a little too annoyed right now and I would like to vent.



As most of you know, I've been doing a block a month quilt with my Mom and her friends through the Quilter's Cottage quilt shop in Stonewall, MB.  Given my new job, I will be working on the days that we have to turn in our quilt squares from now until the quilt is done in October.  My mom called to inquire to see if she could turn in my squares for me or if we could come on another day.  The owner said that neither option was possible as they went against the rules.  The rules, that she came up with none the less.  My Mom advised her that I would likely not continue on to which she replied it was "not her problem".
I'm not saying to boycott the shop as that is unfair, but I will definitely not be spending my money there anymore.  I love to support local businesses, and I will continue to as there are other quilt shops in outlying communities.  I'm just shocked that a business owner would be so callous, especially her comment about not being accommodating to people experiencing a personal hardship.  That's what convinced me to no longer partake in the quilt a long.

I have a friend that lives in Morden, MB and I will be making my way out there to check out their quilt shop.  It's a lot farther away than Stonewall, but I haven't heard any stories like that from other customers.

I'm just so very disappointed at how this turned out.  I was very excited when this started.  I will make up a quilt of the squares I have and donate it to a local charity so at least something good can come from this.

Okay, vent over!  I feel like sharing now, so here is a shrug I made.  It was originally supposed to be a shirt but I lost the pattern for it.  I attached the sleeves to the bottom and voila!  A lovely shrug for work when spring finally decides to arrive.  Doesn't Roberta look lovely wearing it?


3 comments:

  1. That's a very rigid attitude for a small business owner - shame on her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When a customer's problem is "not a store's problem" they may soon have the problem of not having customers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see your frustration but the rules clearly stated that alternate arrangements would not be acceptable. I did not participate because I can't commit to a strict schedule. The idea for the store owner is to get customers into her shop and hopefully purchase additional items. Otherwise what benefit is it to her? As well, it wouldn't be fair for the rules to be bent in your circumstance and not in someone elses. I think when we enter any competition or game we expect the rules not to change midstream.

    ReplyDelete